Skip to Main Content
Host fishes and host-attracting behavior of Lampsilis altilis and Villosa vibex (Bivalvia: Unionidae)Author(s): Wendell R. Haag; Melvin L. Warren; Mahala Shillingsford
Source: American Midland Naturalist. 141: 149-157.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (402 KB)
DescriptionSuitable host fishes were identified for two species of freshwater mussels (Unionidae) from the Coosa River drainage, Mobile Basin: Lampsilis altilis, the fine-lines pocketbook and Villosa vibex, the southern rainbow. Suitable hosts are defined as fishes that produce juvenile mussels from glochidial infestations in the laboratory. Larvae of both L. altilis and V. vibex transformed successfully on four species of sunfishes (Centrarchidae): Lepomis cyanellus, Micropterus coosae, M. punctulatus, and M. salmoides. For both mussel species, transformation success on L. cyanellus was highly variable and generally lower than on Micropterus spp. Gravid female L. altilis and V. vibex display highly modified mantle margin lures in the early spring. In addition to displaying mantle lures, L. altilis produce superconglutinates, simliar to those recently described for three other species of Lampsilis in the Southeastern U.S.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr.; Shillingsford, Mahala. 1999. Host fishes and host-attracting behavior of Lampsilis altilis and Villosa vibex (Bivalvia: Unionidae). American Midland Naturalist. 141: 149-157.
- Mantle displays of freshwater mussels elicit attacks from fish
- Host fishes and infection strategies of freshwater mussels in large Mobile Basin streams, USA
- Effects of light and presence of fish on lure display and larval release behaviours in two species of freshwater mussels
XML: View XML