CalPro: a spreadsheet program for the management of California mixed-conifer stands.Author(s): Jingjing Liang; Joseph Buongiorno; Robert A. Monserud
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-619. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 32 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.74 MB)
CalPro is an add-in program developed to work with Microsoft Excel to simulate the growth and management of uneven-aged mixed-conifer stands in California. Its built-in growth model was calibrated from 177 uneven-aged plots on industry and other private lands. Stands are described by the number of trees per acre in each of nineteen 2-inch diameter classes in two species groups, hardwoods and softwoods.
CalPro allows managers to predict stand development by year and for many decades from a specific initial state. Users can choose cutting regimes by specifying the interval between harvests (cutting cycle) and a target distribution of trees remaining after harvest. A target distribution can be a reverse-J-shaped distribution or any other desired distribution. Diameter-limit cuts can also be simulated. Tabulated and graphic results show diameter distributions, basal area, volumes, income, net present value, and indices of stand diversity by species and size.
This manual documents the program installation and activation, provides suggestions for working with Excel, and gives background information on CalPro’s growth model. It offers a comprehensive tutorial in the form of two practical examples that explain how to start the program, enter simulation data, execute a simulation, compare simulations, and plot summary statistics.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiang, Jingjing; Buongiorno, Joseph; Monserud, Robert A. 2004. CalPro: a spreadsheet program for the management of California mixed-conifer stands. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-619. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 32 p
KeywordsMixed conifers, uneven-aged management, economics, ecology, CalPro, simulation, software, growth model, diversity
- SouthPro : a computer program for managing uneven-aged loblolly pine stands
- WestProPlus: a stochastic spreadsheet program for the management of all-aged Douglas-fir–hemlock forests in the Pacific Northwest.
- WestPro: a computer program for simulating uneven-aged Douglas-fir stand growth and yield in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML