DFSIM with economics: A financial analysis option for the DFSIM Douglas-fir simulator.Author(s): Roger O. Fight; Judith M. Chittester; Gary W. Clendenen
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-175. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 28 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (382 KB)
DescriptionA modified version of the DFSIM Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco var. menziesii) growth and yield simulator, DFSIM WITH ECONOMICS, now has an economics option that allows the user to estimate present net worth at the same time a silvicultural regime is simulated. If desired, the economics option will apply a volume adjustment multiplier in yields used in the analysis to reflect application of small-plot research results to average operating conditions or to account for genetics or other local conditions..It can also account for salvage of mortality. Prices can be entered as a table of values or as an equation that can vary with diameter. Logging costs can be entered as a table or can be generated internally for a short-span cable system. Logging costs can vary by diameter and volume harvested. Other harvest-related costs can be included on a per acre basis and also on a unit volume basis. Prices and costs can be trended using an annual percentage rate of change that is applied for a 50-year period.
An interactive program, SIMIN2 WITH ECONOMICS, can be used to prepare the input data in the format required by the DFSIM WITH ECONOMICS program. Both programs are available from the Biometrics Group, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, Forestry Sciences Laboratory, P.O. Box 3890, Portland, Oregon 97208.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFight, Roger O.; Chittester, Judith M.; Clendenen, Gary W. 1984. DFSIM with economics: A financial analysis option for the DFSIM Douglas-fir simulator. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-175. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 28 p
KeywordsSimulation, financial analysis, DFSIM, Douglas-fir (coast)
- Stump-to-truck cable logging cost equations for young-growth douglas-fir
- Lumber grade recovery from old-growth Douglas-fir at a northwestern Oregon sawmill.
- WestPro: a computer program for simulating uneven-aged Douglas-fir stand growth and yield in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML