Processing data from soil assessment surveys with the computer program SOILS.Author(s): John W. Hazard; Jeralyn Snellgrove; J. Michael Geist
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-179. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 26 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (587 KB)
DescriptionProgram SOILS processes data from soil assessment surveys following a design adopted by the Pacific Northwest Region of the USDA Forest Service. It accepts measurements from line transects and associated soil subsamples and generates estimates of the percentages of the sampled area falling in each soil condition class. Total disturbance is calculated by combining certain detrimental soil condition classes. Variances and confidence intervals of the percentage of each class are computed. Summary or preliminary estimates may be inserted into the program for computing sample sizes to help in planning future surveys.
A summary of the soil survey design for the Pacific Northwest Region, the estimation procedures, and the sample size calculation procedures are also provided.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHazard, John W.; Snellgrove, Jeralyn; Geist, J. Michael. 1985. Processing data from soil assessment surveys with the computer program SOILS. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-179. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 26 p
KeywordsSoil surveys, computer programs/programming, sampling designs
- First forest soil survey gives significant results.
- 1956 bibliography of Pacific Northwest forest soils publications.
- 1958 bibliography of Pacific Northwest forest soils publications.
XML: View XML