Skip to Main Content
SBexpert users guide (version 2.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management.Author(s): Keith M. Reynolds; Edward H. Holsten
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-401. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 62 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.60 MB)
DescriptionSBexpert version 2.0 is a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle (Dendroctonus rufipennis (Kby.)) management developed for use in Microsoft (MS) Windows with the KnowledgePro Windows development language. Version 2.0 is a significant enhancement of version 1.0. The SBexpert users guide provides detailed instructions on the use of all SBexpert features. The SBexpert application now consists of four separate programs: SBexpert (formerly, the Analysis topic in version 1.0), SBtext, SBlit, and SBhelp. SBexpert is an advisory system for spruce beetle management that provides recommendations for reducing spruce beetle hazard and risk to spruce stands and is the main application of the full system. SBtext and SBlit provide complementary decision support. SBtext provides background information on the biology, ecology, and management of spruce beetles. SBlit provides database utilities for retrieving literature citations. Basic features of the SBexpert system include an intuitive graphical user interface, efficient presentation and retrieval of information through hypertext and hypergraphics, easy access to an extensive help system for MS Windows system-level help, window-specific help, a text editor that facilitates preparing standard reports from SBtext, and automatic report generation in SBexpert.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReynolds, Keith M.; Holsten, Edward H. 1997. SBexpert users guide (version 2.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-401. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 62 p
KeywordsSpruce beetle, risk, Hazard, decision support, knowledge base, expert system, management, software
- SBexpert users guide (version 1.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management.
- A hypermedia reference system to the Forest Ecosystem Management Assessment team report and some related publications.
- Relationships between forest structure, composition, site, and spruce beetle occurrence in the Intermountain West
XML: View XML