Skip to Main Content
Construction of sediment budgets for drainage basinsAuthor(s): William E. Dietrich; Thomas Dunne; Neil F. Humphrey; Leslie M. Reid
Source: In: Sediment Budgets and Routing in Forested Drainage Basins: Proceedings of the Symposium; 31 May - 1 June 1982; Corvallis, Oregon. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-141. Portland, Oregon: Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 1982: 5-23.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (931 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - A sediment budget for a drainage basin is a quantitative statement of the rates of production, transport, and discharge of detritus. To construct a sediment budget for a drainage basin, one must integrate the temporal and spatial variations of transport and storage processes. This requires: recognition and quantification of transport processes, recognition and quantification of storage elements, and identification of linkages among transport processes and storage elements. To accomplish this task, it is necessary to know the detailed dynamics of transport processes and storage sites, including such problems as defining the recurrence interval of each transport process at a place.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDietrich, William E.; Dunne, Thomas; Humphrey, Neil F.; Reid, Leslie M. 1982. Construction of sediment budgets for drainage basins. In: Sediment Budgets and Routing in Forested Drainage Basins: Proceedings of the Symposium; 31 May - 1 June 1982; Corvallis, Oregon. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-141. Portland, Oregon: Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 1982: 5-23.
KeywordsPSW4351, sediment, sediment budget, drainage basin, transport processes, storage elements
- Workshop on sediment budgets and routing in forested drainage basins: proceedings.
- The Use of Flow Charts in Sediment Routing Analysis
- Mass failures and other processes of sediment production in Pacific northwest forest landscapes
XML: View XML