Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of a depth proportional intake device for automatic pumping samplersAuthor(s): Rand E. Eads; Robert B. Thomas
Source: Water Resources Bulletin 19(2): 289-292.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (83 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - A depth proportional intake boom for portable pumping samplers was used to collect suspended sediment samples in two coastal streams for three winters. The boom pivots on the stream bed while a float on the downstream end allows debris to depress the boom and pass without becoming trapped. This equipment modifies point sampling by maintaining the intake nozzle at the same proportion of water depth regardless of stage. Data taken by pumping samplers with intakes mounted on the boom were compared with depth integrated hand samples. Pumped samples showed higher concentrations then depth integrated hand samples. Results suggested that cross-sectional sampling can give high precision with proper placement and calibration of a boom mounted intake.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEads, Rand E.; Thomas, Robert B. 1983. Evaluation of a depth proportional intake device for automatic pumping samplers. Water Resources Bulletin 19(2): 289-292.
KeywordsPSW4351, Caspar Creek, pumping sampler, water quality, suspended sediment, statistics, sampling, watershed
- Contamination of successive samples in portable pumping systems
- Turbidity threshold sampling for suspended sediment load estimation
- Means and method of sampling flow related variables from a waterway in an accurate manner using a programmable calculator
XML: View XML