Skip to Main Content
Caspar Creek Watershed Study--North Fork Phase, Jackson Demonstration State Forest, Status and Plans, 1983-1990Author(s): Norm Henry; Karen Sendek
Source: California Forestry Note No. 96. Sacramento, California: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. 9 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (209 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - The California Department of Forestry and U.S. Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station have been conducting a paired watershed study on Jackson Demonstration State Forest for 24 years. The South Fork watershed phase of the study involved monitoring the impacts of road construction (1967) and selective tractor logging (1971-1973) on water and sediment discharge. The present North Fork phase of the study uses an extensive network of flumes with pumping samplers to monitor the impacts of clearcutting a portion of the North Fork utilizing upper slope road construction and cable yarding techniques. Principle objectives are to identify sediment sources through the watershed and evaluate the magnitude and movement of sediment. "Cumulative" effects of logging will be a specific concept tested as clearcutting progresses from the headwaters to the weir.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHenry, Norm; Sendek, Karen 1985. Caspar Creek Watershed Study--North Fork Phase, Jackson Demonstration State Forest, Status and Plans, 1983-1990. California Forestry Note No. 96. Sacramento, California: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. 9 p.
KeywordsPSW4351, Caspar Creek, watershed, impacts of road construction, clearcutting, sediment discharge, tractor logging, flumes, pumping samplers
- Applications of long-term watershed research to forest management in California: 50 Years of Learning from the Caspar Creek Watershed Study
- The Caspar Creek Experimental Watershed
- Logging impacts of the 1970's vs. the 1990's in the Caspar Creek watershed
XML: View XML