Skip to Main Content
The effects of selective logging on low flows and water yield in a coastal stream in northern CaliforniaAuthor(s): Elizabeth T. Keppeler
Source: M.S. Thesis, Humboldt State University, Arcata, California. 137 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (633 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - Using a low flow season defined as a function of antecedent precipitation, streamflow data for a 21 year period was analyzed to determine the effects of selective tractor harvesting of second-growth Douglas-fir and redwood forest on the volume, timing, and duration of low flows and annual water yield. Significant increases in streamflow were detected for both the annual period and the low flow season. Maximum increases were realized the year following the completion. of logging. Greater relative increases were witnessed for the summer low flow period, however these increases were short-lived in comparison to the overall increase in annual water yield.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKeppeler, Elizabeth T. 1986. The effects of selective logging on low flows and water yield in a coastal stream in northern California. M.S. Thesis, Humboldt State University, Arcata, California. 137 p.
KeywordsPSW4351, Caspar Creek, selective logging, water yied, coastal stream, streamflow, watersheds
- Logging effects on streamflow: water yields and summer flows at Caspar Creek in northwestern California
- Effects of Timber Harvest on Fog Drip and Streamflow, Caspar Creek Experimental Watersheds, Mendocino County, California
- Stormflow response to roadbuilding and partial cutting in small streams of northern California
XML: View XML