Skip to Main Content
Habitat utilization, density, and growth of steelhead trout, coho salmon, and Pacific giant salamander in relation to habitat types in a small coastal redwood streamAuthor(s): Michael Roy Lau
Source: M.S. Thesis, University of California, Davis. Davis, California. 58 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (304 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - Small Pacific northwestern coastal streams are nurseries for populations of young of the year coho salmon, steelhead trout, and the Pacific giant salamander larvae. Previous field studies suggest that the habitats of the juveniles of these species were similar to one another. Few habitat utilization studies focus on the juvenile stages of these species despite their important roles in northwestern coastal stream systems. To investigate species distributions and their habitat uses, I compared species density in different habitat types, measuring average species density found throughout the stream. I also examine species survival and growth in the habitat types. I found no significant difference between the total species densities and the habitat types. However, pools possessed the highest densities, riffles the least and runs intermediate.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationLau, Michael Roy. 1994. Habitat utilization, density, and growth of steelhead trout, coho salmon, and Pacific giant salamander in relation to habitat types in a small coastal redwood stream. M.S. Thesis, University of California, Davis. Davis, California. 58 p.
KeywordsPSW4351, Caspar Creek, coastal streams, habitat utilization, steelhead trout, coho salmon, Pacific giant salamander
- Coho salmon and steelhead trout of JDSF
- Water velocity influences prey detection and capture by drift-feeding juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) and steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus)
- Effects of steelhead density on growth of Coho salmon in a small coastal California stream
XML: View XML