Skip to Main Content
Turbidity threshold sampling for suspended sediment load estimationAuthor(s): Jack Lewis; Rand Eads
Source: Pages III-110 - III-117, in: Proceedings of the Seventh Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference, 25-29 March 2001, Reno, Nevada. Federal Interagency Project, Technical Committee of the Subcommittee on Sedimentation.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1925 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - The paper discusses an automated procedure for measuring turbidity and sampling suspended sediment. The basic equipment consists of a programmable data logger, an in situ turbidimeter, a pumping sampler, and a stage-measuring device. The data logger program employs turbidity to govern sample collection during each transport event. Mounting configurations and housings for the turbidimeters have been prototyped and tested or deployed at 16 gaging sites in northwestern California. Operational data are presented with examples illustrating storm load estimation.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLewis, Jack; Eads, Rand. 2001. Turbidity threshold sampling for suspended sediment load estimation. Pages III-110 - III-117, in: Proceedings of the Seventh Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference, 25-29 March 2001, Reno, Nevada. Federal Interagency Project, Technical Committee of the Subcommittee on Sedimentation.
KeywordsPSW4351, Caspar Creek, turbidy, suspended sediment, data logger, pumping sampler, storm load estimation, watershed
- Turbidity-controlled sampling for suspended sediment load estimation
- Turbidity-controlled suspended sediment sampling for runoff-event load estimation
- Implementation guide for turbidity threshold sampling: principles, procedures, and analysis
XML: View XML