Skip to Main Content
Spatial variation in armouring in a channel with high sediment supplyAuthor(s): T. E. Lisle; M. A. Madej
Source: In: P. Billi, R.D. Hey, C.R. Thorne, and P. Tacconi (ed.), Dynamics of Gravel-bed Rivers. John Wiley and Sons, London. p. 277-293.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (347 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - Recent advances in our understanding of the origin and function of armouring in gravel-bed rivers have not addressed the role of non-uniformity and unsteadiness of flow. These flow attributes have important influences on both the surface and subsurface bed material size distributions which are observed at low flow, from which we commonly make inferences concerning bedload transport at high flow. Bed armouring, measured as the ratio of surface to subsurface bed material grain size, is highly variable spatially in a channel in which past and present bed aggradation indicates that the sediment supply has exceeded the transport capacity. Alternate bar topography induces strong variations in boundary shear stress, especially at low flow. The resulting winnowing of fine sediment from zones of high stress, such as riffles, and its deposition as thin sheets in zones of low stress, such as pools, produce wide variations in armouring. Linked winnowing and deposition of fine sediment in each bar pool sequence creates pronounced, local, streamwise sorting by grain size.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLisle, T. E.; Madej, M. A. 1992. Spatial variation in armouring in a channel with high sediment supply. In: P. Billi, R.D. Hey, C.R. Thorne, and P. Tacconi (ed.), Dynamics of Gravel-bed Rivers. John Wiley and Sons, London. p. 277-293.
KeywordsPSW4351, armouring, gravel bed, aggradation, sediment supply, transport capacity, bedload transport, boundary shear stress
- Fine bed material in pools of natural gravel bed channels
- The volume of fine sediment in pools: An index of sediment supply in gravel-bed streams
- Surface particle sizes on armoured gravel streambeds: Effects of supply and hydraulics
XML: View XML