Skip to Main Content
Effects of coarse woody debris and its removal on a channel affected by the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, WashingtonAuthor(s): Thomas E. Lisle
Source: Water Resources Research 31(7): 1797-1808.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (428 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - During the May 18, 1980, eruption of Mount St. Helens, Washington, a pyroclastic surge introduced large volumes of coarse woody debris (CWD) and fine grained sediment to Clearwater Creek, approximately 15 km northeast of the summit. Effects of controlled CWD removal on sediment storage, substrate, and pool frequency and volume were measured in four reaches, each with three 200-m segments, from 1982 to 1990. In each reach the upstream segment served as a control with no debris removal, and CWD was totally and selectively removed from the other two segments. Unique among similar experiments are the large size and volume of CWD and the large inputs of fine grained sediment. Except for segments of two reaches that received debris torrents, the Clearwater channel thalweg scoured until 1985.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLisle, Thomas E. 1995. Effects of coarse woody debris and its removal on a channel affected by the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, Washington. Water Resources Research 31(7): 1797-1808.
KeywordsPSW4351, eruption, Mount St. Helens, Washington, coarse woody debris, CWD, fine sediment, Clearwater Creek, sediment storage, pools, geomorphic
- Amphibian and reptile community response to coarse woody debris manipulations in upland loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) forests
- Measuring the fraction of pool volume filled with fine sediment
- The volume of fine sediment in pools: An index of sediment supply in gravel-bed streams
XML: View XML