Skip to Main Content
Effects of aggradation and degradation on riffle-pool morphology in natural gravel channels, northwestern CaliforniaAuthor(s): Thomas E. Lisle
Source: Water Resources Research 18(6): 1643-1651.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (312 KB)
DescriptionAfter the flood of December 1964, 12 gaging sections in northern California widened as much as 100% and aggraded as much as 4 m, and then degraded to stable levels during a period of 5 years or more. As channels aggraded, bed material became finer, and low to moderate flow through gaging sections in pools became shallower, faster, and steeper. Comparisons of longitudinal profiles also show the diminishment of pools as well as a decrease in bar relief accompanying the excessive sediment load. As gaging sections degraded, hydraulic geometries recovered to a limited degree; full recovery probably depends on channel narrowing and further depletion of sediment supply.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLisle, Thomas E. 1982. Effects of aggradation and degradation on riffle-pool morphology in natural gravel channels, northwestern California. Water Resources Research 18(6): 1643-1651.
KeywordsPSW4351, aggradaton, degradation, stream channel, geomorphic, riffle-pool morphology, California, sediment load, hillslope, erosion
- Channel responses to varying sediment input: A flume experiment modeled after Redwood Creek, California
- Transport and storage of bed material in a gravel-bed channel during episodes of aggradation and degradation: a field and flume study
- Channel aggradation by beaver dams on a small agricultural stream in Eastern Nebraska
XML: View XML