Skip to Main Content
Estimating risk of debris slides after timber harvest in northwestern CaliforniaAuthor(s): M. K. Neely; R. M. Rice
Source: Bull. Assoc. Engineering Geologists XXVII(3): 281-289.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (97 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - The risk of debris slides resulting from logging must often be appraised by foresters planning timber harvests. The Board of Forestry of the State of California commissioned the development of a Mass Movement Checklist to guide foresters making such appraisals. The classification accuracy of the Checklist, tested using 50 logging-related debris slides and 50 logged sites that had not produced debris slides, was correct at 60 sites in northwestern California. Its low accuracy is attributed to low variability of several constituent variables. Although the Checklist may be useful in distinguishing between generally stable and unstable areas, it is of little help in making site-specific decisions within a timber harvest area. The data collected to test the Checklist were used in a linear discriminant analysis to develop a three-variable equation to predict post-logging debris slide risk. It correctly classified 77 percent of the sites. Both analyses suggest that the relative debris slide risk associated with logging is best estimated using geomorphic variables which can change markedly over short distances and which are good surrogates for the forces affecting slope stability.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationNeely, M. K.; Rice, R. M. 1990. Estimating risk of debris slides after timber harvest in northwestern California. Bull. Assoc. Engineering Geologists XXVII(3): 281-289.
KeywordsPSW4351, debris slides, timber harvest, California, slope stability, landscape, California, erosion
- A risk analysis approach for using discriminant functions to manage logging-related landslides on granitic terrain
- Predicting landslides related to clearcut logging, northwestern California, U.S.A.
- Logging and forest roads related to increased debris slides in southwestern Oregon
XML: View XML