Skip to Main Content
Estimates of Down Woody Materials in Eastern US ForestsAuthor(s): David C. Chojnacky; Robert A. Mickler; Linda S. Heath; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Environmental Management. 33(supplement 1): S44-S55.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.88 MB)
DescriptionDown woody materials (WVMs) are an important part of forest ecosystems for wildlife habitat, carbon storage, structural diversity, wildfire hazard, and other large-scale ecosystem processes. To better manage forests for DWMs, available and easily accessible data on DWM components are needed. We examined data on DWMs, collected in 2001 by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program on some plots in several states. We compiled DWM data from 778 plots to compute biomass for the following components: coarse woody material, fine woody material (three size classes), litter, duff, and shrub/herb cover. We developed regression equasions to predct DWM components for extension to FIA's more intensive plot network. Seven regression equations were applied to the FIA data to create maps of DWM biomass. As a first attempt to summarize FIA DWM measurements and extend them to plots without these data, our model produces reasonable results except possibly for duff and litter.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChojnacky, David C.; Mickler, Robert A.; Heath, Linda S.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2004. Estimates of Down Woody Materials in Eastern US Forests. Environmental Management. 33(supplement 1): S44-S55.
Keywordsdown dead wood, coarse woody debris, CWD, duff, litter, FIA, biomass, modeling, global climate, fire fuels
- Carbon in down woody materials of eastern U.S. forests
- Amounts of Down Woody Materials for Mixed-Oak Forests in Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina
- The National Inventory of Down Woody Materials: Methods, Outputs, and Future Directions
XML: View XML