Skip to Main Content
Infrared and colorimetric characterization of discolored kiln-dried hard maple lumberAuthor(s): Benjamin E. Dawson-Andoh; Michael Wiemann; Laurent Matuana; John Baumgras
Source: Forest Products Journal. 54(1): 53-57.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (484.5 KB)
DescriptionDiscoloration of hard maple lumber commonly occurs during kiln-drying. In this study, discolored andnondiscolored kiln-dried hard maple lumber boards were characterized using a colorimetric method and Attenuated Total Reflectance-Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (ATR-FTIR). Colorimetric measurements (L*, a*, b*) were found to be in good agreement with visual grading. Brightness or lightness (L*) of hard maple lumber decreased with discoloration while redness (a*) and yellowness (b* increased with discoloration. The pH and metal ion content of lumber appeared to play no role in the discoloration process. ATR-FTIR spectra of lumber revealed that although all lumber boards exhibited similar features in the fingerprint and other regions, there were differences in intensities of some absorption bands. One significant difference between accepted and rejected lumber boards was in the 1600-1717 cm-' region. ATR FTIR alone was not sensitive enough to adequately describe changes in chemistry of discolored and discolored hard maple lumber boards.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDawson-Andoh, Benjamin E.; Wiemann, Michael; Matuana, Laurent; Baumgras, John. 2004. Infrared and colorimetric characterization of discolored kiln-dried hard maple lumber. Forest Products Journal. 54(1): 53-57.
- Lumber volume and value recovery from small-diameter black cherry, sugar maple, and red oak logs
- Effect of Sugar Maple Root Exudate on Seedlings of Northern Conifer Species
- Sugar maple: its characteristics and potentials
XML: View XML