Skip to Main Content
Population-level analysis and validation of an individual-based cutthroat trout modelAuthor(s): Steven F. Railsback; Bret C. Harvey; Roland H. Lamberson; Derek E. Lee; Claasen Nathan J.; Shuzo Yoshihara
Source: Natural Resource Modeling 15(1): 83-110.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (334 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - An individual-based model of stream trout is analyzed by testing its ability to reproduce patterns of population-level behavior observed in real trout: (1) "self-thinning," a negative power relation between weight and abundance; (2) a "critical period" of density-dependent mortality in young-of-the-year; (3) high and age-speciﬁc interannual variability in abundance; (4) density dependence in growth; and (5) fewer large trout when pool habitat is eliminated. The trout model successfully reproduced these patterns and was useful for evaluating their theoretical basis. The model analyses produced new explanations for some ﬁeld observations and indicated that some patterns are less general than ﬁeld studies indicate. The model did not reproduce ﬁeld-observed patterns of population variability by age class, discrepancies potentially explained by site diﬀerences, predation mortality being more stochastic than the model assumes, or uncertainty in the ﬁeld study’s age estimates.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRailsback, Steven F.; Harvey, Bret C.; Lamberson, Roland H.; Lee, Derek E.; Claasen Nathan J.; Yoshihara, Shuzo. 2002. Population-level analysis and validation of an individual-based cutthroat trout model. Natural Resource Modeling 15(1): 83-110.
KeywordsPSW4351, cutthroat trout, individual-based model, population level, density dependence, pool habitat
- Effects of stream channel morphology on golden trout spawning habitat and recruitment.
- Effects of passage barriers on demographics and stability properties of a virtual trout populations
- Influences of spatial and temporal variation on fish-habitat relationships defined by regression quantiles
XML: View XML