Skip to Main Content
Diameter Growth in Even- and Uneven-Aged Northern Hardwoods in New Hampshire Under Partial CuttingAuthor(s): William B. Leak
Source: Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 21(3): 160-163.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (313.94 KB)
DescriptionOne important concern in the conversion of even-aged stands to an uneven aged condition through individual-tree or small-group cutting is the growth response throughout the diameter-class distribution, especially of the understoty trees Increment-core sampling of an older, uneven-aged northern hardwood stand in New Hampshire under management for about 50 years established the baseline diameter-growth responses of the sapling, pole, and sawtimber strata. Growth responses of the poletimber and sawtimber in a 70-year-old even-aged stand were comparable to the uneven aged stand after an initial partial cutting treatment; growth of the understoty began approaching comparable rates after the second entry about 25 years after the first cut.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeak, William B. 2004. Diameter Growth in Even- and Uneven-Aged Northern Hardwoods in New Hampshire Under Partial Cutting. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 21(3): 160-163.
KeywordsNorthern hardwoods, diameter growth, uneven-aged management
- Comparison of tree size structure and growth for partially harvested and even-aged hemlock-spruce stands in southeast Alaska
- Estimation and application of a growth and yield model for uneven-aged mixed conifer stands in California.
- Effect of crown growing space and age on the growth of northern red oak
XML: View XML