Skip to Main Content
Indicators of regenerative capacity for eastern hardwood forestsAuthor(s): William H. McWilliams; Todd W. Bowersox; Patrick H. Brose; Daniel A. Devlin; James C. Finley; Steve Horsley; Kurt W. Gottschalk; Tonya W. Lister; Larry H. McCormick; Gary W. Miller; Kim C. Steiner; Susan L. Stout; James A. Westfall; Robert L. White
Source: In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2003 national convention; 2003 October 25-29; Buffalo, NY. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 136-140.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (375.3 KB)
DescriptionHardwood forests of the eastern United States are characterized by a complex mix of species associations that make it difficult to construct useful indicators of long-term sustainability, in terms of future forest composition and stocking levels. The Pennsylvania Regeneration Study examines regeneration adequacy in the state. The study uses the Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) unit's systematic sample design and grid. Measurements of regeneration and related understory vegetation were added to the standard FIA sample protocols to obtain more detailed information on these forest components. The results indicate that only half of the samples in the study had adequate advance regeneration assuming high deer densities and a goal of re-establishing existing canopy dominants. Under moderate deer densities, results showed about 65 percent of the samples had adequate regeneration. These indicators could be a useful tool for evaluating prospective sustainability of the region's forest land.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationMcWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Brose, Patrick H.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Finley, James C.; Horsley, Steve; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Lister, Tonya W.; McCormick, Larry H.; Miller, Gary W.; Steiner, Kim C.; Stout, Susan L.; Westfall, James A.; White, Robert L. 2004. Indicators of regenerative capacity for eastern hardwood forests. In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2003 national convention; 2003 October 25-29; Buffalo, NY. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 136-140.
KeywordsCriteria, indicator, forest biodiversity, forest health, forest, productivity, forest sustainability, forest understory, tree regeneration
- Sampling forest regeneration across northern U.S. forests: filling a void in regeneration model input
- Landscape-level regeneration adequacy for native hardwood forests of Pennsylvania
- A regeneration indicator for Forest Inventory and Analysis: history, sampling, estimation, analytics, and potential use in the midwest and northeast United States
XML: View XML