Skip to Main Content
Carbon Stocks and Projections on Public Forestlands in the United States, 1952-2040Author(s): James E. Smith; Linda S. Heath
Source: Environmental Managment. 33(4): 433-442.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (814.67 KB)
DescriptionApproximately 37% of forestlands in the conterminous United States are publicly owned; they represent a substantial area of potential carbon sequestration in US forests and in forest products. However, large areas of public forestlands traditionally have been less intensively inventoried than privately owned forests. Thus, less information is available about their role as carbon sinks. We present estimates of carbon budgets on public forestlands of the 48 conterminous states, along with a discussion of the assumptions necessary to make such estimates. The forest carbon budget simulation model, FORCARB2, makes estimates for US forests primarily based on inventory data. We discuss methods to develop consistent carbon budget estimates from inventory data at varying levels of detail. Total carbon stored on public forestlands in the conterminous US increased from 16.3 Gt in 1953 to the present total of 19.5 Gt, while area increased from 87.1 million hactares to 92.1 million hactares. At the same time the proportion of carbon on public forestlands relative to all forests increased from 35% to 37%. Projections for the next 40 years depend on scenarios of management influences on growth and harvest.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationSmith, James E.; Heath, Linda S. 2004. Carbon Stocks and Projections on Public Forestlands in the United States, 1952-2040. Environmental Managment. 33(4): 433-442.
KeywordsCarbon sequestration, Carbon flux, Carbon budget, Forest inventory, FORCARB
- Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphaisis on USDA Forest Service ownership
- Managed forest carbon estimates for the US greenhouse gas inventory, 1990-2008
- Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphasis on USDA Forest Service ownership
XML: View XML