Skip to Main Content
Watershed forest management using decision support technologyAuthor(s): Mark Twery; Robert Northrop
Source: In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2003 national convention; 2003 October 25-29; Buffaly, NY. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 373-375.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (200.9 KB)
DescriptionUsing innovative partnerships and a variety of decision support tools, we identified the needs and goals of Baltimore, Maryland, for their reservoir properties containing over 17000 forested acres; developed a management plan; determined the information necessary to evaluate conditions, processes, and context; chose tools to use; collected, organized, and analyzed data; and developed alternative strategies to meet the landowner's goals. The key tools we used were the NED decision support system and ArcView. NED is a tool to gather, organize and analyze data; and compare alternative options and outcomes. Data can be exported to ArcView for spatial analysis. NED is most useful for implementation at stand and project levels. ArcView is most useful to display spatial relationships; analyze at landscape level; and show links with outside properties.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTwery, Mark; Northrop, Robert. 2004. Watershed forest management using decision support technology. In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2003 national convention; 2003 October 25-29; Buffaly, NY. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 373-375.
KeywordsEcosystem management, decision support system, knowledge-based system, multi-resource decisions, treatment prescription, growth simulation
- A method for integrating multiple components in a decision support system
- NED-2: A decision support system for integrated forest ecosystem management
- NED-1: integrated analyses for forest stewardship decisions
XML: View XML