Skip to Main Content
Tracking Movements of Individual Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) Adults: Application of Harmonic RadarAuthor(s): David W. Williams; Guohong Li; Ruitong Gao
Source: Environmental Entomology. 33(3): 644-649.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (669.15 KB)
DescriptionMovements of 55 Anoplophora glabripennis (Motschulsky) adults were monitored on 200 willow trees, Salix babylonica L., at a site appx. 80 km southeast of Beijing, China, for 9-14 d in an individual mark-recapture study using harmonic radar. The average movement distance was appx. 14 m, with many beetles not moving at all and others moving >90 m. The rate of movement averaged almost 3 m per day. Movement patterns differed strikingly between the sexes: males averaged >6 times the total movement distance of females at appx. 2 times their rate. The overall recapture rate in this short-term experiment was 78%, but the radar tags attached to individual beetles often broke or otherwise were rendered undetectable after several days in the field. Currently, the harmonic radar system is useful for tracking beetles and obtaining estimates of their movement rates over short time periods. It will become useful for longer-term studies as more durable tags are developed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliams, David W.; Li, Guohong; Gao, Ruitong 2004. Tracking Movements of Individual Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) Adults: Application of Harmonic Radar. Environmental Entomology. 33(3): 644-649.
KeywordsAsian longhorned beetle, dispersal, harmonic radar, individual mark-recapture
- Selecting and utilizing Populus and Salix for landfill covers: implications for leachate irrigation
- Phyto-recurrent selection: a tree improvement strategy for selecting genotypes used in phytoremediation
- Current status of Anoplophora Spp. in Europe and an update on suppression efforts
XML: View XML