Skip to Main Content
Review: Current international research into cellulosic fibres and compositesAuthor(s): S.J. Eichhorn; C.A. Baillie; N. Zafeiropoulos; L.Y. Mwaikambo; M.P. Ansell; A. Dufresne; K.M. Entwistle; P.J. Herrera-Franco; G.C. Escamilla; Leslie H. Groom; M. Hughes; C. Hill; Timothy G. Rials; P.M. Wild
Source: Journal of Materials Science 36(2107-2131
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (797 KB)
DescriptionThe following paper summarises a number of international research projects being undertaken to understand the mechanical properties of natural cellulose fibres and composite materials. In particular the use of novel techniques, such as Raman spectroscopy, synchrotron x-ray and half-fringe photoelastic methods of measuring the physical and micromechanical properties of cellulose fibres is reported. Current single fibre testing procedures are also reviewed with emphasis on the end-use in papermaking. The techniques involved in chemically modifying fibres to improve interfacial adhesion in composites are also reviewed, and the use of novel fibre sources such as bacterial and animal cellulose. It is found that there is overlap in current international research into this area, and that there are complementary approaches and therefore further combining of these may make further progress possible. In particular a need to measure locally the adhesion properties and deformation processes of fibres in composites, with different chemical treatments, ought to be a focus of future research.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEichhorn, S.J.; Baillie, C.A.; Zafeiropoulos, N.; Mwaikambo, L.Y.; Ansell, M.P.; Dufresne, A.; Entwistle, K.M.; Herrera-Franco, P.J.; Escamilla, G.C.; Groom, Leslie H.; Hughes, M.; Hill, C.; Rials, Timothy G.; Wild, P.M. 2001. Review: Current international research into cellulosic fibres and composites. Journal of Materials Science 36(2107-2131
- Effects of varying refiner pressure on the machanical properties of loblolly pine fibres
- Morphology-property relationships in wood-fibre-based polyurethanes
- A novel sample preparation method to avoid influence of embedding medium during nano-indentation
XML: View XML