Skip to Main Content
Condensed tannins: Reactions of model compounds with furfuryl alcohol and furfuraldehydeAuthor(s): L. Foo; Richard W. Hemingway
Source: Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology 5(1):135-158
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (2.4 MB)
DescriptionReaction products of phloroglucinol or catechin with furfuryl alcohol and furfuraldehyde were studied. In reactions of furfuryl alcohol with phloroglucinol, only 2-furyl-(11, 31, 51-trihydroxyphenyl) methane was obtained as product, and 53% of the phloroglucinol was recovered. Reactions of furfuryl alcohol with catechin gave 2-furyl-(8-catechinyl) methane and 2-furyl-(6-catechinyl) methane in 4.0% and 1.5% yields, respectively, while 62% of the catechin was unreacted. Polymeric furans with few catechin moieties made up the oligomeric products (38% of catechin). Reaction of phloroglucinol with furfuraldehyde gave 2-furyl-di(11, 31, 51-trihydroxyphenyl) methane, an ustable product that readily polymerized during isolation. The solid state 13C-NMR spectrum of the higher polymers suggested one phloroglucinol moiety per furan unit, but lower oligomers contained more furan-furan condensation products. Reactions of catechin with furfuraldehyde gave 2-furyl-di(8-catechinyl)-(8-catechinyl) methane in low yield, with 65% of the catechin unreacted.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFoo, L.; Hemingway, Richard W. 1985. Condensed tannins: Reactions of model compounds with furfuryl alcohol and furfuraldehyde. Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology 5(1):135-158
- Condensed tannins. Base-catalysed reactions of polymeric procyanidins with phloroglucinol: Intramolecular rearrangements
- Condensed tannins: Base-catalysed reactions of polymeric procyanidins with toluene-α-thiol, liability of the interflavanoid bond and pyran ring
- Electrophilic aromatic substitution of catechins: Bromination and benzylation
XML: View XML