Skip to Main Content
Dipole moment, solution, and solid state structure (-)-epicatechin, a monomer unit of procyanidin polymersAuthor(s): Frank R. Fronczek; Garret Gannuch; Wayne L. Mattice; Fred L. Tobiason; Jeff L. Broker; Richard W. Hemingway
Source: Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Trans II:1611-1616
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.2 MB)
DescriptionThe structure of (-)-epicatechin has been determined in the crystalline state. Crystals are orthorhombic. P212121, a=670.8(1), b=1329.1 (3), c=1426.2(4) pm, Z=4. Dc=1.516 g cm-3, R=0.041 for 1624 observations. Intramolecular hydrogen bonds are absent. The aliphatic hydroxy group and three of the four phenolic hydroxy groups participate in intermolecular hydrogen bond formation. The aromatic ring bonded to C(2) is in an equatorial position. but the hydroxy group bonded to C(3) adopts an axial position. Comparison with the published structure for 8-bromotetra-O-methyl-(+)-catechin reveals that epimerization at C(3) alters the fused ring system primarily at C(2) and C(3). The heterocyclic ring is more closely described as a half-chair in (-)-epicatechin than in 8-bromotetra-O-methyl-(+)-catechin. Dipole moments have been measured for (-)-epicatechin in solution. At 300 K the root-mean-square dipole moment is 3.91 ± 0.04 D, and the temperature coefficient is small and negative. The behaviour of the dipole moment is easily rationalized vi. a theoretical rotational isomeric state analysis based on the structure found in the crystalline state.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFronczek, Frank R.; Gannuch, Garret; Mattice, Wayne L.; Tobiason, Fred L.; Broker, Jeff L.; Hemingway, Richard W. 1984. Dipole moment, solution, and solid state structure (-)-epicatechin, a monomer unit of procyanidin polymers. Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Trans II:1611-1616
- Preference for occupany of axial positions by substituents bonded to the heterocyclic ring in penta-O-acetyl-(+)-catechin in the crystalline state
- Crystal structure, conformational analysis, and molecular dynamics of tetra-0-methyl-(+)-catechin
- Conformational analysis and dipole moments of tetra-O-methyl-(+)-catechin and tetra-O-methyl_(-)-epicatechin
XML: View XML