Skip to Main Content
Effect of adhesive stiffness and thickness on stress distributions in structural finger jointsAuthor(s): Leslie H. Groom; Robert J. Leichti
Source: J. Adhesion 44:69-83
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.4 MB)
DescriptionEnvironmental, political, and socioeconomic actions over the past several years have resulted in a decreased wood supply at a time when there is an increased demand for forest products. This combination of increased demand and decreased supply has forced more emphasis on engineered wood products, a varied category usually connected with adhesively-bonded end joints, of which the most common type is the finger joint. This paper presents the results of a finite-element analysis of structural finger joints, and focuses primarily on the effect of adhesive stiffness and thickness on stress distribution patterns in finger joints. Results indicate that a flexible adhesive layer concentrates adherend longitudinal and radial stresses at the finger base, whereas a stiff adhesive layer minimized adherend stresses but increases adhesive stress levels. Results also show that a thin adhesive layer concentrates longitudinal adherend stresses at the juncture of the finger tip and flexible finger base and concentrates radial stresses at all finger bases. However, these increased longitudinal and radial stresses are balanced by reduced adhesive shear stresses.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationGroom, Leslie H.; Leichti, Robert J. 1994. Effect of adhesive stiffness and thickness on stress distributions in structural finger joints. J. Adhesion 44:69-83
KeywordsFinger joint, stress distribution, finite-element method, longitudinal stress, shear stress, wood, adhesive joints, mechanical analysis, theory
- Effect of adhesive stiffness and thickness on stress distributions in structural finger joints
- Failure mechanisms in wood joints bonded with urea-formaldehyde adhesives
- Effect of Moisture Cycling on Mechanical Response of Metal-Plate Connector Joints With and Without an Adhesive Interface
XML: View XML