Skip to Main Content
Heterogeneity of interflavanoid bond Location in loblolly pine bark procyanidinsAuthor(s): Richard W. Hemingway; Joseph J. Karchesy; Gerald W. McGraw; Richard A. Wielesek
Source: Phytochemistry 22(1):275-281
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.3 MB)
DescriptionProcyanidins B-1, B-3 and B-7 were obtained from Pinus taeda phloem in yields of 0.076, 0.021 and 0.034% of unextracted dry wt. Procyanidins B-1 and B-7 were produced in relative yields of 2.4:1 by biosynthetically patterned synthesis from catechin and loblolly pine tannins. Partial acid-catalysed thiolytic cleavage of loblolly pine phloem tannins produced (2R,3S,4S)-2,3,-cis-3,4-trans-3,3',4',5,7-pencahydroxy-4-phenylthioftavan and both (2R,3R,4R)-2,3-cis-3,4-trans-3,3'4',5,7-pentahydroxy-4-(2R,3S,4S)-2,3-cis-3,4- trans-3,3',4',5,7-pentahydroxy-4-phenylthioftavan-8-yl]ftavan and (2R,3R,4R)-2,3-cis-3,4-trans-3,3',4',5,7-4-[(2R,3S,4S)-2,3-cis-3,4-trans-3,3',4',5,7-pentahydroxy-4-phenylthioftavan-6-yl]ftavan in ratios of 3:1 demonstrating regio-isomerism of the interflavanoid linkage in the polymeric procyanidins of loblolly pine bark..
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHemingway, Richard W.; Karchesy, Joseph J.; McGraw, Gerald W.; Wielesek, Richard A. 1983. Heterogeneity of interflavanoid bond Location in loblolly pine bark procyanidins. Phytochemistry 22(1):275-281
- Condensed tannins: A proposed route to 2R,3R-(2,3-cis)-proanthocyanidins
- Condensed tannin-resorcinol adducts and their use in wood-laminating adhesives: An exploratory study
- Kinetics of acid-catalyzed cleavage of procyanindins
XML: View XML