Skip to Main Content
Condensed tannin-resorcinol adducts and their use in wood-laminating adhesives: An exploratory studyAuthor(s): Richard W. Hemingway; R.E. Kreibich
Source: Journal of Applied Polymer Science: Applied Polymer Symposium 40:79-90
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.5 MB)
DescriptionThe reaction of a tannin extract (containing about 30% carbohydrate) from loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) bark (two parts) and resorcinol (one part) at 120°C for 24 h with acetic acid catalyst gave a product containing predominantly oligomeric procyanidin-4-resorcinol adducts (39%), unreacted resorcinol (22%), carbohydrate (20%). the resorcinol adduct 2R,3R,4S-4-(2,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-flavan-3,3',4',5,7-pentaol (8%)its 2,3-trans isomer (4%), and catechin and epicatechin (7%). The above mixture was used as a resorcinol replacement in a conventional phenolresorcinol-formaldehyde laminating adhesive as used in the manufacture of laminated wood beams. Preliminary gluing results suggest that, with some modification of adhesive formulation and resin synthesis conditions, room-temperature curing adhesives for wood-laminating purposes could be produced successfully using such condensed tannin-resorcinol adducts to replace more than 60% of the resorcinol requirement.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHemingway, Richard W.; Kreibich, R.E. 1984. Condensed tannin-resorcinol adducts and their use in wood-laminating adhesives: An exploratory study. Journal of Applied Polymer Science: Applied Polymer Symposium 40:79-90
- Condensed tannin-resorcinol adducts in laminating adhesives
- Condensed tannin-sulfonate derivatives in cold-setting wood-laminating adhesives
- Heterogeneity of interflavanoid bond Location in loblolly pine bark procyanidins
XML: View XML