Skip to Main Content
Influence of extractives on wood gluing and finishing- a reviewAuthor(s): Chung-Yun Hse; Mon-Lin Kuo
Source: Forest Products Journal 38(1):52-56
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.1 MB)
DescriptionMigration of extractives to the wood surface alters the properties of wood as an adherent. Extractives change the wettability and the curing properties of adhesives. A desirable wettability-permeability relationship is sometimes affected by extractives, thus reducing the gluebond strength and performance. Past efforts to determine which of the components of extractives affect adhesion are reviewed. The most common deleterious effect of extractives on finishing is discoloration of coatings and paint films. Another adverse effect is that extractives retard the hardening of finishes. Not all the effects are unfavorable, however. Some extractives significantly improve the durability of the surface-coating and contribute to paint holding. Methods of minimizing the effects of extractives are also reviewed. Their application depends on the wood species involved and on the relative value of the products. Economic principles dictate the feasibility of the methods used.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHse, Chung-Yun; Kuo, Mon-Lin. 1988. Influence of extractives on wood gluing and finishing- a review. Forest Products Journal 38(1):52-56
- Don’t get (sun) burned : exposing exterior wood to the weather prior to painting contributes to finish failure
- How overdrying wood reduces its bonding to phenol-formaldehyde adhesives : a critical review of the literature. Part II, Chemical reactions
- How overdrying wood reduces its bonding to phenol-formaldehyde adhesives : a critical review of the literature. Part I, Physical responses
XML: View XML