Skip to Main Content
Condensed tannins: (4β→8;2β→O→7)-linked procyanidins in Arachis hypogea L.Author(s): Joseph J. Karchesy; Richard W. Hemingway
Source: Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 34(6):966-970
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.1 MB)
DescriptionMature, red peanut skins contain about 17% by weight of procyanidins. Nearly 50% of these compounds are low molecular weight oligomers that are soluble in ethyl acetate. The flavan-3-ols catechin and epicatechin are present in a ratio of 9 to 1 but in low concentration. Among the dimeric procyanidins, epicatechin-(4β→8;2β→O→7)-catechin dominates, with smaller proportions of epicatechin-(4β→8;→2β→O→7)-epicatechin and very small proportions of epicatechin-(4β→8)-catechin. Higher oligomers that are soluble in ethyl acetate contain both the (4β→8 or →6) and (4β→8;2β→O→7) interflavanoid bonds. The water-soluble polymeric procyanidins are predominately 2,3-cis-procyanidins linked by (4β→8 or →6) bonds that are terminated with the 2,3-trans-flavan-3-ol catechin. Water-soluble polymeric procyanidins from flaked and pelletized peanut skins have comparatively low number-average molecular weights (about 2200 as the peracetate) and low dispersitivities (about 1.8). These polymers have excellent potential for use in cold-setting adhesive applications.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKarchesy, Joseph J.; Hemingway, Richard W. 1986. Condensed tannins: (4β→8;2β→O→7)-linked procyanidins in Arachis hypogea L. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 34(6):966-970
- The phenolic extractives in southern red oak (Quercus falcata Michx. var. falcata)
- Variations in the heterogeneity of the decay of the fluorescence in six procyanidin dimers
- Oligomeric flavanoids. Part 26. Structure and synthesis of the first profisetinidins with epifisetinidol constituent units
XML: View XML