Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Condensed tannins: Base-catalysed reactions of polymeric procyanidins with toluene-α-thiol, liability of the interflavanoid bond and pyran ringAuthor(s): Peter E. Laks; Richard W. Hemingway
Source: Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Trans. I. 465-470
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (2.1 MB)
DescriptionReaction of polymeric procyanidins (condensed tannins) with toluene-α-thiol at pH 12.0 and 23°C gave predominantly one stereoisomer of 1.3-bisbenzylthio-1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3-(2,4,6-trihydroxyphenyl) propan-2-ol (10) by stereoselective reaction at C-4 and C-2 of the Quinone methide derived from the upper 2,3-cis procyanidin units. Smaller amounts of two isomers of 1-benzylthio-1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3-(2,4,6-trihydroxyphenyl)propan-2-ol (4) were obtained by reaction at the C-2 of catechin obtained from the terminal units. At higher temperatures, (10) loses toluene-α-thiol preferentially from C-1 to give 1-benzylthio-1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3-(2,4,6-trihydroxyphenyl)- propan-2-one (11) by a tautomeric rearrangement of the Quinone methide via an enol to the ketone. Loss of toluene-α-thiol from (4) gave 1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3-(2,4,6-trihydroxyphenyl)propan-2-one (5) by a similar rearrangement. This compound further rearranges to 1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-4,6-dihydroxyindan-2-one (6).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLaks, Peter E.; Hemingway, Richard W. 1987. Condensed tannins: Base-catalysed reactions of polymeric procyanidins with toluene-α-thiol, liability of the interflavanoid bond and pyran ring. Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Trans. I. 465-470
- Condensed tannins: The formation of a diarylpropanol-catechinic acid dimer from base-catalyzed reactions of (+)-catechin
- Condensed tannins. Base-catalysed reactions of polymeric procyanidins with phloroglucinol: Intramolecular rearrangements
- Condensed tannins: Preferential substitution at the interflavanoid bond by sulphite ion
XML: View XML