Skip to Main Content
Leaching of flakeboard produced from recycled CCA-treated wood into deionized waterAuthor(s): W. Li; T.F. Shupe; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Forest Products Journal 54(3):38-41
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (852 KB)
DescriptionThe disposal of preservative-treated wood is becoming a larger issue for the forest products industry due to increasing public concern and scrutiny as well as costs associated with traditional disposal, i.e., landfilling. Recycling of preservative-treated wood has great potential. In this study, flakeboard was produced from decommissioned guardrail posts that had been treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA). The leaching characteristics of chromium, copper, and arsenic from flakeboards manufactured from five different ratios of recycled CCA-treated wood and untreated virgin southern pine wood were investigated. Five ratios of recycled CCA-treated wood and virgin, untreated wood were used for flakeboard furnish. The ratios were 100:0, 75:25, 50:50, 25:75, and 0:100. The guardrails generally showed higher amounts of CCA in the outer horizontal areas and the middle vertical regions of the guardrail posts. As expected, the furnishes with greater amounts of CCA-treated wood had higher leaching values.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, W.; Shupe, T.F.; Hse, Chung-Yun. 2004. Leaching of flakeboard produced from recycled CCA-treated wood into deionized water. Forest Products Journal 54(3):38-41
- Recycling of decommissioned CCA-treated wood into value-added enigineered wood products
- Physical and mechanical properties of flakeboard produced from recycled CCA-treated wood
- Fifty-Year Durability Evaluation of Posts Treated with Industrial Wood Preservatives
XML: View XML