Skip to Main Content
Cottonwood Plantation Growth Through 20 YearsAuthor(s): Roger M. Krinard; Robert L. Johnson
Source: Res. Pap. SO-212. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 11 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (343 KB)
DescriptionAt age 20 survival of unthinned cottonwood (Populusdeltoides Bartr. ex Marsh.) planted on medium-textured soil at spacings of 4 by 9, 8 by 9, 12 by 12, and 16 by 18 feet was 10, 17, 30, and 62 percent, and average diameters were 10.6, 11.8, 12.6, and 13.7 inches, respectively. Depending on spacing and diameter threshold, -cubic volume mean annual increment peaked at ages 7 to 13. Thinning compared to no thinning reduced cubic volume production. Thinned or unthinned plots of 16- by l&foot spacing and heaviest thinning at 12 by 12 spacing produced from 340 to 400 board feet per acre per year (Doyle) during the 20 years in trees 2 12.0 inches to a lo-inch top. Other spacing-treatment combinations provided from 110 to 230 board feet per acre per year.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKrinard, Roger M.; Johnson, Robert L. 1984. Cottonwood Plantation Growth Through 20 Years. Res. Pap. SO-212. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 11 p.
KeywordsPopulus deltoides, stand development, thinning.
- Growth, Thinning Treatments, and Soil Properties in a 10-Year-Old Cottonwood Plantation on a Clay Site
- Ten-Year Results in a Cottonwood Plantation Spacing Study
- Ten Years' Growth of Pruned and Unpruned Cottonwood Planted at 40- by 40-Foot Spacing
XML: View XML