Skip to Main Content
Technical feasibility of structual flakeboard made from mixed hardwoods and cypress from northern floridaAuthor(s): Todd F. Shupe; Chung-Yun Hse; Eddie W. Price
Source: Forest Products Journal 51(1):62-64
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (723 KB)
DescriptionHomogeneous and 3-layer flakeboard panels were fabricated from mixed hardwood species and baldcypress grown in northern Florida. All panels yielded adequate bending strength and stiffness and dimensional stability. For the homogeneous panels, the study indicates that only one panel condition, i.e., 5.5 percent resin content (RC) and 45 pcf, yielded internal bond (IB) values greater than 75 psi and thickness swelling (TS) equal or less than 25 percent. When comparing homogenous panels to 3-layer panels at similar RC and panel target density, all mechanical and physical properties were slightly more favorable in the homogenous panels. However, linear expansion and TS were slightly more favorable for the homogenous panels at 5.5 percent RC and 45 pcf than 3-layer panels produced at identical RC and panel target density. For the 3-layer panels, the large increase in IB and decrease in TS in response to the slight change in RC should provide the margin to produce acceptable flakeboards in plant conditions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShupe, Todd F.; Hse, Chung-Yun; Price, Eddie W. 2001. Technical feasibility of structual flakeboard made from mixed hardwoods and cypress from northern florida. Forest Products Journal 51(1):62-64
- Flakeboard properties as affected by flake cutting techniques
- Silvicultural and genetic influences on planted cypress productivity
- Manufacture and performance of full size structural flakeboards from Douglas-fir forest residues
XML: View XML