Skip to Main Content
Cocondensation of urea with methylolphenols in acidic conditionsAuthor(s): Bunchiro Tomita; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Journal of Polymer Science 30:1615-1624
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.6 MB)
DescriptionThe reactions of urea with methylolphenols under acidic conditions were investigated using 2- and 4-hydroxybenzyl alcohol and crude 2,4,6-trimethylophenol as model compounds. The reaction products were analyzed with 13C-NMR spectroscopy and GPC. From the reaction of urea with 4-hydroxybenzyl alcohol, the formations of 4-hydroxybenzylurea, N,N'-bis(4-hydroxybenzyl)urea, and tris(4-hydroxybenzyl)urea were confirmed and the formations of N,N-bis(4-hydroxybenzyl)urea and tetrakis(4-hydroxybenzyl)urea were suggested. From the reaction of urea and 2-hydroxybenzyl alcohol, 2-hydroxybenzylurea and N,N'-bis(2-hydroxybenzyl)urea were identified. Further, the alternative copolymer of urea and phenol could be synthesized by the reaction of urea with 2,4,6-trimethylolphenol. It was also found that the cocondensation between p-methylol group and urea prevails against the self-condensation of the methylolphenol even at the low pH below 3.0, and that p-methylol group has the stronger reactivity to urea than o-methylol group.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTomita, Bunchiro; Hse, Chung-Yun. 1992. Cocondensation of urea with methylolphenols in acidic conditions. Journal of Polymer Science 30:1615-1624
KeywordsUrea, phenol, formaldehyde, cocondensation, hydroxybenzylurea
- Kinetics on cocondensation of phenol and urea
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde I.
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde I
XML: View XML