Skip to Main Content
Synthesis of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins from UF-concentrate and phenolAuthor(s): Bunchiro Tomita; Mashiko Ohyama; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Holzforschung 48(6):522-526
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.8 MB)
DescriptionA new synthetic method to obtain phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins was developed by reacting phenol with "UF-concentrate", which is a kind of urea-formaldehyde (UF) resin prepared with a high molar ratio of formaldehyde to urea (F/U) such as above 2.5. The products were analyzed with 13C-NMR spectroscopy and gel permeation chromatography. The ratio of cocondensation and the amount of phenol incorporated into cocondensed resins were found to increase, when the UF-concentrates were prepared under alkaline conditions. It was also found that resol-type cocondensed resins can be synthesized by alkaline treatments of the cocondensed resins which were once prepared under acidic conditions.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTomita, Bunchiro; Ohyama, Mashiko; Hse, Chung-Yun. 1994. Synthesis of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins from UF-concentrate and phenol. Holzforschung 48(6):522-526
KeywordsPhenol, urea, formaldehyde, cocondensed resins, resol, C-13 NMR, structure, GPC
- Phenol-Urea-Formaldehyde (PUF) co-condensed wood adhesives
- Analysis of curing process and thermal properties of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins
- Curing property and plywood adhesive performance of resol-type phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins
XML: View XML