Skip to Main Content
New curing system of urea-formaldehyde resind with polyhydrazides. I. Curing with dihydrazie compoundsAuthor(s): Bunichiro Tomita; Hideaki Osawa; Chung-Yun Hse; George E. Myers
Source: Journal of the Japan Wood Research Society 35(5):455-459
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (4.2 MB)
DescriptionA nonconventional curing system was developed using a simple mixing of urea-formaldehyde (UF) resins with polyfunctional hydrazide compounds under neutral contition. Several kinds of low molecular-weight dihydrazide compounds were investigated as hardners of the UF resins. Results were as follows: 1) As the minimum gelation times were observed in the range of molar ratios [dihydrazide/(free F+methylol F)] from 0.1 to 0.2, it was concluded that the hydrazide group has two or three functions with formaldehyde or methylol groups. 2) The adhesive strength of plywood prepared by this system was not inferior to conventional curing with ammonium chloride both in normal tests and in water-soaking test at 60C. The aromatic dihydrazide, isophthaloyl dihydrazide, had no decreases in superiority and bond strength after water-soaking compared with conventional curing with ammonium chloride.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationTomita, Bunichiro; Osawa, Hideaki; Hse, Chung-Yun; Myers, George E. 1989. New curing system of urea-formaldehyde resind with polyhydrazides. I. Curing with dihydrazie compounds. Journal of the Japan Wood Research Society 35(5):455-459
KeywordsUrea-formaldehyde resin, dihydrazide compound, neutral curing
- New curing system for urea-formaldehyde resins with polyhydrazides. I. Curing with poly(methycrylol hydrazide)
- Heat stability of cured urea-formaldehyde resins by measuring formaldehyde emission
- Analysis of curing process and thermal properties of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins
XML: View XML