Skip to Main Content
Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde IIIAuthor(s): Yasunori Yoshida; Bunchiro Tomita; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Mokuzai Gakkaishi 41(7):652-658
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (895 KB)
DescriptionConcurrent reactions involving cocondensation and self-codensation were determined simultaneously in the reactions of o- and p-methylolphenol, respectively, with urea. The results were as follows: (1) The reactivity ratio of self-condensation to cocondensation could be determined by Equation  for the concurrent reaction of monomethylolphenol with urea. (2) For the reaction of o-methylolphenol with urea in water, it was found that the second-order rate constant of the self-condensation due to the formation of a o,p-methylene linkage is approximately ten times greater than that of the cocondensation between o-methylolphenols with urea. The reaction solvent of the mixture of water and dioxane reduced the reactivity ratio. (3) For the reaction of p-methylolphenol with urea under water/dioxane solvent, it was suggested that the rate constant of the cocondensation is approximately four times greater than that of the self-condensation between p-methylolphenols.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoshida, Yasunori; Tomita, Bunchiro; Hse, Chung-Yun. 1995. Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde III. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 41(7):652-658
KeywordsCocondensation, urea/methylolphenols, kinetics, reactivity ratio, C-13 NMR
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde III
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde II
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde II.
XML: View XML