Skip to Main Content
Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde IIAuthor(s): Yasunori Yoshida; Bunchiro Tomita; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Mokuzai Gakkaishi 41(6):555-560
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (820 KB)
DescriptionThe chemical kinetics of the concurrent reactions of 2,4,6-trimethylolphenol with urea, where o- and p-methylol groups reacted simultaneously with urea, were analyzed on four kinds of catalysts: namely, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, and oxalic acid. The results were summarized as follows: (1) Assuming that each reaction follows the second-order reaction, the reactivity ratio (K=ko/kp) of the o- to p-methylol group could be obtained from the kinetic plots of Equation  within small errors. (2) The reactivity ratios were determined to be 0.066 to 0.075 by the least-square method for four kinds of acid catalysts. (3) The reactivity ratio of the pseudo-first-order rate constants obtained by competitive cocondensations under the coexistence of o- and p-methylolphenols with a sulfuric acid catalyst was found to be almost identical with that obtained by the concurrent cocondensation of the trimethylolphenol.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoshida, Yasunori; Tomita, Bunchiro; Hse, Chung-Yun. 1995. Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde II. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 41(6):555-560
KeywordsCocondensation/urea/methylolphenol, 2, 4, 6-trimethylolphenol, kinetics, reactivity ratio, catalyst
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde II.
- Kinetics on cocondensation of phenol and urea
- Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde III
XML: View XML