Southern forest science: past, present, and futureAuthor(s): H. Michael Rauscher; Kurt Johnsen
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-75. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 394 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (16.8 MB)
DescriptionSouthern forests provide innumerable benefits. Forest scientists, managers, owners, and users have in common the desire to improve the condition of these forests and the ecosystems they support. A first step is to understand the contributions science has made and continues to make to the care and management of forests. This book represents a celebration of past accomplishments, summarizes the current state of knowledge, and creates a vision for the future of southern forestry research and management. Chapters are organized into seven sections: "Looking Back," "Productivity," "Forest Health," "Water and Soils," "Socioeconomic," "Biodiversity," and "Climate Change." Each section is preceded by a brief introductory chapter. Authors were encouraged to focus on the most important aspects of their topics; citations are included to guide readers to further information.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRauscher, H. Michael; Johnsen, Kurt, eds. 2004. Southern forest science: past, present, and future. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-75. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 394 p.
Keywordsbiodiversity, climate change, forest health, forest history, productivity, socioeconomics, soil, water
- Fire in southern forest landscapes
- Book review: Southern Forested Wetlands: Ecology and Management
- Southern Pine Beetle II
XML: View XML