Skip to Main Content
Combined Log Inventory and Process Simulation Models for the Planning and Control of Sawmill OperationsAuthor(s): Guillermo A. Mendoza; Roger J. Meimban; Philip A. Araman; William G. Luppold
Source: Proceedings, 23rd CIRP International Seminar on Manufacturing Systems. 8pp.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (165 KB)
DescriptionA log inventory model and a real-time hardwood process simulation model were developed and combined into an integrated production planning and control system for hardwood sawmills. The log inventory model was designed to monitor and periodically update the status of the logs in the log yard. The process simulation model was designed to estimate various sawmill performance parameters taking into account the different static and dynamic features of a sawmill. Besides the log inventory and simulation models, the system also has a front-end spreadsheet-based optimizer for determining optimal log input mix. Thus, the integrated system has the capability to determine the optimal lumber production schedule (including log input mix) which is also operationally feasible on real-time.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMendoza, Guillermo A.; Meimban, Roger J.; Araman, Philip A.; Luppold, William G. 1991. Combined Log Inventory and Process Simulation Models for the Planning and Control of Sawmill Operations. Proceedings, 23rd CIRP International Seminar on Manufacturing Systems. 8pp.
- An Integrated Management Support and Production Control System for Hardwood Forest Products
- Combining Simulation and Optimization Models for Hardwood Lumber Production
- An integrated 3D log processing optimization system for small sawmills in central Appalachia
XML: View XML