Stem Profile for Southern Equations for Southern Tree SpeciesAuthor(s): Alexander Clark; Ray A. Souter; Bryce E. Schlaegel
Source: Res. Pap. SE-282. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 117 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (5.6 MB)
DescriptionForm-class segmented-profile equations for 58 southern tree species and species groups are presented.The profile equations are based on taper data for 13,469 trees sampled in natural stands in many locations across the South.The profile equations predict diameter at any given height, height to give diameter, and volume between two heights.Equation coefficients for use in estimating diameters and volumes inside and outside bark are presented. D.b.h. and total height, d.b.h. and height to 4-inch top, d.b.h and height to 9-inch top (hardwoods), and d.b.h and height to 7-inch top (softwoods) are used as predictors.A measure of diameter at 17.3 feet is required also, and equations are presented for estimating d.o.b. and d.i.b. at 17.3 feet from d.b.h. and height.Equations for estimating d.i.b. at 4.5 and 17.3 feet from d.o.b. are given.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClark, Alexander, III; Souter, Ray A.; Schlaegel, Bryce E. 1991. Stem Profile Equations for Southern Tree Species. Res. Pap. SE-282. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 117 p.
KeywordsTaper functions, volume equations, d.o.b. and d.i.b. equations
- Stem Cubic-Foot Volume Tables for Tree Species in the South
- Stem Cubic-Foot Volume Tables for Tree Species in the Arkansas Area
- Stem Cubic-Foot Volume Tables for Tree Species in the Upper Coastal Plain
XML: View XML