Skip to Main Content
Ultraviolet weathering of photostabilized wood-flour-filled high-density polyethylene compositesAuthor(s): Nicole M. Stark; Laurent M. Matuana
Source: Journal of applied polymer science. Vol. 90 (2003): Pages 2609-2617
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (103 KB)
DescriptionWood–plastic composites are being increasingly examined for nonstructural or semistructural building applications. As outdoor applications become more widespread, durability becomes an issue. Ultraviolet exposure can lead to photodegradation, which results in a change in appearance and/or mechanical properties. Photodegradation can be slowed through the addition of photostabilizers. In this study, we examined the performance of wood flour/high-density polyethylene composites after accelerated weathering. Two 24 factorial experimental designs were used to determine the effects of two hindered amine light stabilizers, an ultraviolet absorber, a colorant, and their interactions on the photostabilization of high-density polyethylene blends and wood flour/high-density polyethylene composites. Color change and flexural properties were determined after 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 h of accelerated weathering. The results indicate that both the colorant and ultraviolet absorber were more effective photostabilizers for wood flour/high-density polyethylene composites than the hindered amine light stabilizers.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2003. Ultraviolet weathering of photostabilized wood-flour-filled high-density polyethylene composites. Journal of applied polymer science. Vol. 90 (2003): Pages 2609-2617
KeywordsPolyethylene (PE), mechanical properties, degradation, composites
- Photostabilization of wood flour filled HDPE composites
- Influence of photostabilizers on wood flour-HDPE composites exposed to xenon-arc radiation with and without water spray
- Influence of a stabilized cap layer on the photodegradation of coextruded high density polyethylene/woodflour composites
XML: View XML