Skip to Main Content
Moisture diffusion through a corrugated fiberboard under compressive loading : its deformation and stiffness responseAuthor(s): Adeeb A. Rahman; Thomas J. Urbanik; Mustafa Mahamid
Source: Proceedings of the 2002 Progress in Paper Physics Seminar : 2002 September 8-13, Syracuse, NY. Rochester, NY : Rochester Institute of Technology, 2002. Pages 85-88.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (95 KB)
DescriptionThis research develops a model using finite element to study the response of a panel made of a typical commercial corrugated fireboard due to an induced moisture function at one side of the fiberboard. The model predicts how the moisture diffusion will permeate through the fiberboard's layers (medium and liners) providing information on moisture content at any given point throughout the structure. The short column is loaded by edgewise compression, all panel edges are simply supported. This is one type of boundary conditions; other boundary conditions can be investigated. The model predicts the deformation response, the loss of stiffness, and the swelling mechanism in all the layers of the fiberboard under the static compressive loading. The parameters studied include the moisture content at different location of the fiberboard's layers as described by the moisture diffusion law.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRahman, Adeeb A.; Urbanik, Thomas J.; Mahamid, Mustafa. 2002. Moisture diffusion through a corrugated fiberboard under compressive loading : its deformation and stiffness response. Proceedings of the 2002 Progress in Paper Physics Seminar : 2002 September 8-13, Syracuse, NY. Rochester, NY : Rochester Institute of Technology, 2002. Pages 85-88.
KeywordsCorrugated fiberboard, finite element analysis, FEA, moisture diffusion, liner, medium, coefficient of moisture conductivity, coefficient of moisture expansion
- Response of corrugated fiberboard to moisture flow : a 3-D finite element transient nonlinear analysis
- FE analysis of creep and hygroexpansion response of a corrugated fiberboard to a moisture flow : a transient nonlinear analysis
- Fiberboard bending properties as a function of density, thickness, resin, and moisture content
XML: View XML