Skip to Main Content
WinXSPRO, a channel cross section analyzer, User's Manual, Version 3.0Author(s): Thomas Hardy; Palavi Panja; Dean Mathias
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-147. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 95 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (2.9 MB)
DescriptionWinXSPRO is an interactive Windows software package designed to analyze stream channel cross section data for geometric, hydraulic, and sediment transport parameters. WinXSPRO was specifically developed for use in high-gradient streams (gradient > 0.01) and supports four alternative resistance equations for computing boundary roughness and resistance to flow. Cross section input data may be from standard cross section surveys using a rod and level or sag-tape procedures. WinXSPRO allows the user to subdivide the channel cross section into multiple sub-sections and has the ability to vary watersurface slopes with discharge to reflect natural conditions. Analysis options include developing stage-discharge relationships, evaluating changes in channel cross-sectional area, and computing sediment transport rates. Resource specialists can use the estimated stream-channel geometry cross section hydraulic characteristics and sediment transport output to assist with channel design and monitoring, instream flow analysis, the restoration of riparian areas, and the placement of instream structures.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHardy, Thomas; Panja, Palavi; Mathias, Dean. 2005. WinXSPRO, a channel cross section analyzer, User''s Manual, Version 3.0. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-147. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 95 p.
KeywordsWinXSPRO, stream channel cross section data, high-gradient streams
- Lithological and fluvial controls on the geomorphology of tropical montane stream channels in Puerto Rico
- Maintenance of an obstruction-forced pool in a gravel-bed channel: streamflow, channel morphology, and sediment transport.
- Photographic guidance for selecting flow resistance coefficients in high-gradient channels
XML: View XML