Skip to Main Content
A strategic assessment of forest biomass and fuel reduction treatments in Western StatesAuthor(s): USDA Forest Service; Bob Rummer; Jeff Prestemon; Dennis May; Pat Miles; John Vissage; Ron McRoberts; Greg Liknes; Wayne D. Shepperd; Dennis Ferguson; William Elliot; Sue Miller; Steve Reutebuch; Jamie Barbour; Jeremy Fried; Bryce Stokes; Edward Bilek; Ken Skog
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-149. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 17 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (308.7 KB)
DescriptionThis assessment characterizes, at a regional scale, forest biomass that can potentially be removed to implement the fuel reduction and ecosystem restoration objectives of the National Fire Plan for the Western United States. The assessment area covers forests on both public and private ownerships in the region and describes all standing tree volume including stems, limbs, and tops. Analysis of treatment areas and potential removals is included. Additionally, the operational systems necessary to effect the treatments as well as potential erosion impacts, utilization opportunities and market implications were examined.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationUSDA Forest Service; Rummer, Bob; Prestemon, Jeff; May, Dennis; Miles, Pat; Vissage, John; McRoberts, Ron; Liknes, Greg; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Ferguson, Dennis; Elliot, William; Miller, Sue; Reutebuch, Steve; Barbour, Jamie; Fried, Jeremy; Stokes, Bryce; Bilek, Edward; Skog, Ken. 2005. A strategic assessment of forest biomass and fuel reduction treatments in Western States. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-149. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 17 p.
Keywordsassessment, biomass, fuel reduction, inventory
- Protecting the source: Tools to evaluate fuel treatment cost vs. water quality protection
- Assessing post-fire values-at-risk with a new calculation tool
- Erosion at decommissioned road-stream crossings: case studies from three northern California watersheds
XML: View XML