Skip to Main Content
Avoidance of fire by Louisiana pine snakes, Pituophis melanoleucus ruthveniAuthor(s): D. Craig Rudolph; Shirley J. Burgdorf; John C. Tull; Marc Ealy; Richard N. Conner; Richard R. Schaefer; Robert R. Fleet
Source: Herpetological Review. 29(3),:146-148
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (362 KB)
DescriptionWildfire and prescribed fire are important influences on pine ecosystems in the southeastern United States (Komarek 1968, 1974; Platt et al. 1988). Although considerable research on the impact of fire on vertebrates due to changes in vegetation structure has been reported, the direct impact of fire on vertebrates is not well known (Means and Campbell 1981). The Louisiana pine snake (Pituophis melanoleucus ruthveni) occupies a limited range in eastern Texas and western Louisiana (Conant 1956; Reichling 1995). Within this range it is generally found on sandy soils in longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) savannas (Young and Vandeventer 1988). Historically these longleaf pine savannas were maintained by frequent, low intensity ground fires (Komarek 1968; Platt et al. 1988, 1989). In recent decades wildfire frequencies have declined severely due to suppression efforts, and maintenance of these fire climax communities is currently dependent on prescribed fire.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRudolph, D. Craig; Burgdorf, Shirley J.; Tull, John C.; Ealy, Marc; Conner, Richard N.; Schaefer, Richard R.; Fleet, Robert R. 1998. Avoidance of fire by Louisiana pine snakes, Pituophis melanoleucus ruthveni. Herpetological Review. 29(3),:146-148.
- Status of Pituophis ruthveni (Louisiana pine snake)
- Pituophis ruthveni
- Diet of the Louisiana pine snake (Pituophis ruthveni)
XML: View XML