Skip to Main Content
A risk analysis approach for using discriminant functions to manage logging-related landslides on granitic terrainAuthor(s): Raymond M. Rice; Norman H. Pillsbury; Kurt W. Schmidt
Source: Forest Science 31(3): 772-784.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (279 KB)
DescriptionAbstract - A linear discriminant function, developed to predict debris avalanches after clearcut logging on a granitic batholith in northwestern California, was tested on data from two batholiths. The equation was inaccurate in predicting slope stability on one of them. A new equation based on slope, crown cover, and distance from a stream (retained from the original equation) predicted stability on all three batholiths with an overall accuracy of 83 percent. A procedure is described that can be used to decide how to harvest slide-prone slopes. The procedure uses the manager's estimates of contending resource values and environmental risks together with data from a proposed harvest area. By the algorithm presented, the manager can determine the landslide risk threshold to follow and achieve the greatest net benefit from a timber harvest. FOREST SCI. 31:772- 784
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRice, Raymond M.; Pillsbury, Norman H.; Schmidt, Kurt W. 1985. A risk analysis approach for using discriminant functions to manage logging-related landslides on granitic terrain. Forest Science 31(3): 772-784.
KeywordsPSW4351, debris avalanches, risk analysis, clearcutting, Klamath Mountains, linear discriminant function, northwestern California, landslide
- Predicting landslides in clearcut patches
- Estimating risk of debris slides after timber harvest in northwestern California
- Predicting landslides related to clearcut logging, northwestern California, U.S.A.
XML: View XML