Skip to Main Content
Differential regulation of mnp2, a new manganese peroxidase-encoding gene from the ligninolytic fungus Trametes versicolor PRL 572Author(s): Tomas Johansson; Per Olof Nyman; Daniel Cullen
Source: Applied and environmental microbiology. Vol. 68, no. 4 (Apr. 2002): Pages 2077-2080
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (265 KB)
DescriptionA peroxidase-encoding gene, mnp2, and its corresponding cDNA were characterized from the white-rot basidiomycete Trametes versicolor PRL 572. We used quantitative reverse transcriptase-mediated PCR to identify mnp2 transcripts in nutrient-limited stationary cultures. Although mnp2 lacks upstream metal response elements (MREs), addition of MnSO4 to cultures increased mnp2 transcript levels 250-fold. In contrast, transcript levels of an MRE-containing gene of T. versicolor, mnp1, increased only eightfold under the same conditions. Thus, the manganese peroxidase genes in T. versicolor are differentially regulated, and upstream MREs are not necessarily involved. Our results support the hypothesis that fungal and plant peroxidases arose through an ancient duplication and folding of two structural domains, since we found the mnp1 and mnp2 polypeptides to have internal homology.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohansson, Tomas; Nyman, Per Olof; Cullen, Daniel. 2002. Differential regulation of mnp2, a new manganese peroxidase-encoding gene from the ligninolytic fungus Trametes versicolor PRL 572. Applied and environmental microbiology. Vol. 68, no. 4 (Apr. 2002): Pages 2077-2080
KeywordsTrametes versicolor, manganese peroxidase-encoding gene, wood-decaying fungi, peroxidase-encoding gene, mnp2, Basidiomycetes
- Lignin peroxidase gene family of Phanerochaete chrysosporium : complex regulation by carbon and nitrogen limitation and identification of a second dimorphic chromosome
- Organization and differential regulation of a cluster of lignin peroxidase genes of Phanerochaete chrysosporium
- Regulation of Gene Expression during the Onset of Ligninolytic Oxidation by Phanerochaete chrysosporium on Spruce Wood
XML: View XML